Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why do moms always want another baby?

The only person that can hold the answer on the question of why mothers always want another baby, besides God is a mother. But, let me as a father and a husband take a stab at this question and lets see if I come any closer to finding the answer than I do at pinning the tail on the donkey blind folded. As the father of a 2 year old little girl and a husband to a hard working wife who is an amazing mother, I have a small authority to try an answer this question. My authority may be as much authority as to picking out the fabric for our bedroom, but my opinion counts a little since I am one half of the equation to producing another child in our home. This question is one that I have asked my wife and myself more frequently as our daughter is growing up. With a change in health insurance recently we were informed by the insurance company that there is a 18 month waiting period before they will pay for the birth of a child. Needless to say to a mother, wife, and woman such as the woman I am married to, this is very upsetting. My wife and I would love to have another child and she would love for the next one to be close in age to our daughter that is 2 years old. I have seen my wife more upset about having to wait to have another child than she has been about anything. So I ask her the question and I ask myself the question, why are moms always wanting another baby? As a Dad I see another mouth to feed, more future expenses, more work, more everything...........but also more smiles, laughter, and fun. BUT, I am not sure that is what a mother sees. As I watch our little girl grow up and become more independent and also more okay with Daddy helping her, I watch my wife's needing and request for having another child become stronger. So as I try to answer this question of why does my wife and mother of our daughter want another child? Why do women that have teenage children wish to have another baby? I think it is the feeling of being needed, the feeling that this baby survives because of her. Now I have tried to make my wife feel more needed around our house as our daughter has become more independent. I have left more laundry on the floor that needs to be picked up, I have left more dishes in the sink, I have forgotten to recycle, and I have asked her to wait on me more.  As shocking as you may find this, it did not help. It actually reversed into complaining about how I do not help out enough. WOW! So the feeling of being needed only works from a baby? A feeling of being needed to survive can only come from a newborn and unfortunately once that newborn has become 2 years old and independent the feeling will come back again. I believe the only way out of this vicious cycle is that one day when the mother gets the urge for another little bundle of joy, you can only hope she is too tired from chasing the other children to ask you for another baby. Right or wrong, this is just one Dad's wrong opinion..........if you ask a woman.
From the beach................Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment