Tuesday, January 18, 2011

dishes hold secrets

In the past few months I have become a stay at home Dad. I knew I had a lot to learn. Not just as a father since I would be spending more time with my daughter than ever before , but I had a lot to learn around the house. I knew from being married for 8 years that my wife and I folded laundry different and early in our marriage I had this crazy idea that she liked doing laundry. In 8 years of marriage my wife did teach me some secrets around the house. She informed me for one that the toilet seat enjoys being down better than up and placing my dishes in the sink after dinner does not qualify as doing the dishes. So now here we are 8 years into our marriage with a 2 year old little girl and my wife trusts me to be a stay at home Dad. To prove to my wife and myself I took on my new job like Muhammad Ali. I was doing laundry before it could hit the laundry basket and dinner was hot and ready when she got home. I made it look easy because I was the champ, fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Then the champ was hit with a left hook that he was not ready for. My daughter was to attend an event that night when I received a text from a mom asking us to bring a pan of Brownies to the event. This was no problem, I grabbed up a box of brownie mix and read the directions. Here came the left hook, duck champ duck! Directions said to use a 13 x 9 pan, what? Now I know any woman that can cook could walk into the kitchen and pick out a 13 x 9 pan on the first try. This champ did not want to take a knock out, so after looking at 10 different pans I did what any champ would do. I went to the garage and got my craftsman tape measure, I could almost here the crowd roar as I was holding the trophy over my head. The chant in the kitchen continued to grow as I cooked, champ! Champ! Champ! It wasn't until later when the left hook caught me on the chin. I made a joke in a Facebook post about my greatness, when my dad's secretary saw my post. Being an amazing cook she let me in on a little secret about dishes, the size of the dish is inscribed in the bottom of the dish. Wow, thank you dish makers everywhere what a great idea. I am still flying like a butterfly, but I may have lost a little of my sting.
From the beach..........The Champ!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment