Saturday, January 22, 2011

It wasn't you John Mayer, it was me.

Over John Mayer's career as a musician I have watched him from a far. As someone who did not turn his music off when it came on the radio, but someone who was not going to go out and buy his cd or even pay the .99 cents on itunes. In my mind John Mayer was a pretty boy and was singing his music to the backstreet boys crowd. I mean who were all these 13 year old girls going to listen to when they turn 18 and it was no longer cool to watch 40 year old men in orthopedic shoes singing about how much they longed for her. So I assumed John Mayer was there for those girls as he sang to the maturer 18 year olds letting her know "her body is a wonderland." As a father of a 2 year old that song made me want to whack John Mayer over the head with his guitar, but as a husband that song had me looking forward to my daughter going to bed. (wink! wink!) If Victoria's Secret was smart they would be playing this song in all of their stores and their sales would set a new record. It was a love hate relationship for John Mayer and I. In the past couple of years I have seen John Mayer come out with more creative music as he has shown his passion for the Blues. OH JOHN, you found my heart.......maybe. I was not a John Mayer fan, but I was keeping an eye on him more. I am a person who believes in respect, I want to see people respect their elders and give respect where it is deserved. That was when it happened for John Mayer and I, the 51st Grammy Awards they had BB King and John Mayer play a duet together. My first thought was what are they doing letting that hack play with "The King of Blues!" John sat there like a kid sitting in front of his idol, maybe with a little less drool than I would have, but he was almost in amazement sitting next to BB King. Then the two of them played and amazing duet together and I was gaining respect for John's playing abilities, but was more impressed on how excited he was to be around my favorite musician, BB King. Then John Mayer decided to change my opinion of him when the song ended and John Mayer stood, not to bow or accept applause, but to honor 81 year old King of Blues, BB King. John, I appreciate your respect for someone who laid the ground work for musicians like yourself. Respect for BB King who now is a multi-millionaire but at one time was hopping trains and living on the street just to play the blues. As I gained respect for John Mayer I began to research his music more and as a musician myself I began to appreciate the level of music John Mayer plays at. The amount of difficult music he plays where you would have to have multiple guitars tuned to different keys. So John Mayer your old music may scare me as a Dad and excite me as a husband, your new music excites me all around, but it may have been my attitude. So John, with that I you the famous break up line.......not as a break up, but as a way to say you gained a new fan..............it's not you, it was me.
From the beach....................Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment